Wednesday 29 August 2012

Sunday August 26th we split ways

On Sunday morning the three of us went for brunch at Mike's. It was so good! For everyone who has always told me that cheese and apple go well together - I finally believe you! I had a three cheese apple breakfast pizza, and Grayden got chocolate hazelnut banana crepes. They also had another type of pizza there that had the crust cut into small points so that it looked like a sun! It was beautiful; I want to try doing that sometime.

After brunch we began to toss around the idea that Papa and Grayden accompany me to Caraquet to see the town where I would be living. We did things the old fashioned way and actually went to the airport to inquire about flights! I've never gone to airport to ask about and book flights so that was very interesting to me. It turned out that flights from New Brunswick were going to be almost double that of from Quebec City, so the boys ended up booking their flights from Quebec City, and for a few hours later, as that was the cheapest option. It was too bad they had to go so soon, but I was able to get on my way to Caraquet, and Grayden could get organized for school.

After they went through security I began my lone road trip. There was so much construction going on and I almost made it all the way through to the highway I wanted on my first try! After about 15 minutes of navigating construction zones and guessing on temporary signage I had made it across the bridge to Levis, but took a wrong exit coming off the bridge which put me back on the same bridge driving back to Quebec City! Because of all the construction I had to backtrack almost all the way to airport, but I got the route right the second time and was on my way.

I think out of all provinces I have driven a lot through, Quebec has the cutest small towns. The houses and the yards are just so neat. The highway through Quebec to New Brunswick wound along the riverside and there were a lot of farms. I was driving on a Sunday and I must have passed at least 20-30 garage sales in people's yards! I think it is something they do often because many of them had fairly permanent signage, and open sheds that were so well set up like little shops! I wish I had had cash on me and then I would have stopped and looked around.

I spent Sunday night at a hotel in Edmundston. The hotel was a Days Inn but it was so old-fashioned and had so much character to it. Edmundston was very French, as has been every single town I've passed through in New Brunswick. My understanding is that the northern portion of the province is mainly French, while the lower portion is more densely population and English-speaking.

Monday morning I began my drive to Caraquet. Along the way were many more small towns. The drive was gorgeous. It was hills up and down, and forest all around.

No comments:

Post a Comment