Wednesday 29 August 2012

CARAQUET!!!

Well I'm here in Caraquet, New Brunswick! I've officially made it Coast to Coast, in that I have been from the Pacific Ocean to the Atlantic Ocean. Caraquet is lovely. Caraquet is the capital of the Acadia and the residents here certainly sport that. About two weeks ago they had their Acadian festival, Tintamarre, so I don't know how much display is left from that, but, almost every yard has an Acadian flag flying! People have ribbons and bows of red, white and blue on their homes. Telephone poles are painted with the Acadian flag at the base. It is so cool. These people are so proud to display and are so passionate of their heritage and culture.

The maritimes are amazing as well. This is my first time this far East and it's all I could have imagined and more! Lobster is cheaper than crab here, and you can get it just about anyway, anywhere! Whole lobster from a roadside stand, or lobster panini from a cafe anyone? There are lobster traps just sitting in people's yards. Caraquet is also the "Oyster Capital" and they even has an Oyster-Eco Museum here. The marinas and the homes are just as they are portrayed in pictures and movies too.

Just outside of Caraquet is an Acadian village. I think it's similar to Barkerville in that they have preserved and enhanced what was there in the past, and have people working there to give you an experience of what it once was. I hope to go visit it soon!

I have been finding a lot to do and explore here already. There is a walking path along the banks over the ocean, and many beaches and jetties to walk out on to. The playground by the marina is totally nautical with boats to climb. There is a lighthouse near my home, and windmills far in the distance. So far every evening has been incredibly windy and the ocean is dark and stormy.

As for my home I have a basement suite. It is a lot bigger than I imagined it was going to be. Today I'll hopefully try to walk to my school to see just how far it is from where I live. On Tuesday I have a meeting down in Tracadie-Sheila with the regional Odyssey advisor and the other language assistants from the Acadian peninsula. I'm still not sure what day I'll actually start in the school.

1 comment: