Saturday 18 August 2012

In to Manitoba and on to Ontario!!

We left Grenfell bright and early to make our way in to Manitoba. The first bit of Manitoba was just as flat as the second half of Saskatchewan was, but soon trees and hills started to appear. We had breakfast in Manitoba in an adorable little town just off of the highway called Carberry. It seems every town here has competed in Communities in Bloom at some point, and they all have kept up the gardens and hanging baskets. Even though Manitoba and Saskatchewan are in the same time zone, Saskatchewan doesn't observe daily savings (I think?) and so when we went for breakfast in Carberry we found out they weren't serving breakfast anymore. However, there was a cafe with all-day breakfast to please my dad and Grayden so we went out there. It was called the Robin's Nest. Our waitress was wearing a black t-shirt with a neon coloured Justin Beiber on the front.

When we got to Winnipeg we couldn't decide whether to drive around or through, and not deciding soon enough ended up driving through. I am certainly glad we drove through! I never had any idea of what Winnipeg was like in my mind, so to just see it was really cool. There were mostly old brick buildings in the part of town we drove through, and lots of trees lining the streets. On the grass outside of a building was a tail-gate sale, with a truck, and two separately manned tables. The one table was selling wedding veils! We got a little lost trying to get out of Winnipeg and back on to the TransCanada highway but since I wasn't driving it just meant a bit more sightseeing for me!

After Winnipeg it wasn't long until we crossed the border into Ontario. Manitoba really just flew by. The first major town in Ontario was Kenora, which we had the option to bypass. However, having just blown so much time in Winnipeg we figured driving through another town couldn't hurt! Kenora was absolutely beautiful! It was a lake or lakes, with islands, and bridges, and homes on the water, and boats, and fountains in the lake, and people paddle boarding! I would love to get to spend some time there exploring the water and the forest! They also had a Dairy Queen, which automatically made it fantastic, but the best part was that it was like a walk-through window-serve DQ!

I've been to Ontario multiple times, to Ottawa, Toronto, and Niagara Falls but I had never seen much of the wilderness of Ontario. I now understand The Canadian Shield that we learnt about in high school social studies. There is so much rock! The rocks bordering the highway were beautiful granite with sparkly pink swirls! I even saw a granite mine/processing plant. I was obviously eagerly looking out the window for moose but I didn't see any unfortunately.

We're spending tonight in Ignace, Ontario. I think that is about all I have to say about it, probably because I'm really tired!

So, I've decided that Canada is really big, but not that big considering we've made it this far in just 3 days. However, I think I'm going to realize just how big Ontario is because it kind of looks like it goes on forever and ever, and I think we'll still be in Ontario tomorrow night!

2 comments: