Friday 17 August 2012

Saskatchewan is not just flat

Saskatchewan is not what I expected. Everyone, besides those who have not lived here, had told me that it is just flat. Everyone who has ever lived here has told me it is beautiful. Well, I would say it's a bit of both, but definitely not as flat as I expected! It was small hills about halfway across while on the TransCanada Highway. By the time we got to Regina however, I began to learn what flat is! I think what I was most surprised by was not how flat it was, but by how big the sky was! It was beautiful though! And for anyhow who thinks it's not beautiful, I'm not a fan of the Kamlooops landscape and people usually gasp at that!

The TransCanada Highway skirts past downtown Regina so the city of Regina we saw were Canadian Tires, Walmarts and Chuckee Cheese's sprawled along the freeway. We decided to continue on to find somewhere to spend the night.

First we stopped at Indianhead. The Indianhead motel looked like some place that could be the Whelanhead motel the next morning with our heads outside the building... So, we decided to check out the other motel in town. Called the Sunshine Motel, it was about the size of a large house, and had a phone number to call to have someone come down and get you a room. It was actually pretty cute but given the fact there was no where to eat in town we decided to move along. As we were leaving we saw a sign that said that Indianhead is the filming location for Little Mosque on the Prairie. That left us wondering if all the nice store fronts, with appearingly empty stores, were just for the show...

Our next stop was at a town called Wolseley. It was another adorable little prairie town, but it was just as empty as Indianhead was. It was kind of sad to see these little places with no one there, and all the old buildings sitting empty. Once again the town had no where for us to eat so we pulled back on to the highway.

Next along Highway 1 was Grenfell. We found a motel right next to a restaurant in an Esso. Now, realize that we had been on the road for well over 12 hours and were terribly hungry. We found a motel right next to a restaurant in an Esso. Yep, sounds great! We checked in and the hotel owner told us the restaurant closes at 8pm so we quickly made our way over there. It turned out to be the most hopping place in town! On the menu was Fish & Chips - with the fish being Pollock! I chose Greek Chicken Fratzolaki which was chicken, feta, tomato and onion with tzatiki on a torpedo sub style bun. I was convinced that they had made it up but it was delicious anyways. I asked my Greek food know-all Justin if it existed and he didn't know what I was talking about. So then I went to my other friend Google, and the first hit was Library Squirrel - Saskatchewan Words! While we were eating a young lady came to our table and said "I would just like to welcome you to Grenfell!" And we said "Thanks!", thinking she was just very friendly. Then she said something about her father and our house so we thought she was saying her dad checked us in to the motel. Then she said "Yes, so congratulations on your new home. That was my father who sold it to you and he told me to welcome you to town!". We thanked her but said that we hadn't bought a house here. She tried to explain herself that her dad had sold it to a family and she thought we were them. Her assuming that the only family she didn't know in the restaurant must be the new family was definite confirmation that we were in a small town! The poor girl was so embarrassed but it made our night. I don't think she should have been so embarrassed; last year in Dawson Creek a guy came all the way across a restaurant to give me a hug and congratulate me on my engagement! I also almost lost an arm at dinner tonight when a mop handle came down like a paper cutter! It was a very entertaining dinner for sure.

Not only is the sky huge in Saskatchewan, so is the sun when it sets over the horizon! Goodnight friends!

PS I just realized that I totally neglected writing about the morning portion of our trip through Alberta. I will hopefully get caught up on that tomorrow, because that was a great time as well!

1 comment:

  1. LMAO congratulating you on your engagement!! hahaha Now that guy must have been embarrassed!

    ReplyDelete